The Importance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is observed in October. Unfortunately, a significant number of people have been affected by this illness, either through personal experiences or through their loved ones. It is recommended to spare a few moments to go through this informative infographic and share it with the women who are important to you. By conducting regular self-breast exams and adopting measures to minimize risk factors, you can significantly lower the chances of developing this devastating illness.
Why is Breast Cancer Awareness Month Important?
Breast cancer awareness month holds great significance because knowledge empowers individuals. Through the efforts of organizations, businesses, and survivors, the truth about this disease is being shared, leading to increased awareness among women (and men) about methods to minimize their personal risks and identify abnormalities at an early stage. If you question the importance of breast cancer awareness month, consider the countless women who have triumphed over the illness due to early detection and regular screening. Detecting breast cancer in its initial phases greatly enhances the effectiveness of treatment, underscoring the importance of educating women about self-examination, recognizing the signs of breast cancer, and raising funds to ensure that individuals from all economic backgrounds have access to necessary medical care.
October Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Breast cancer awareness month was designated in 1985 through a collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the pharmaceutical division of Imperial Chemical Industries. Their joint efforts aimed to disseminate accurate information about breast cancer awareness, with the goal of decreasing the annual incidence of cases. Since then, numerous organizations have embraced October as breast cancer awareness month, utilizing it as a platform to emphasize the crucial role of early detection in overcoming the disease. In many instances, stories of successful recovery emerge directly from patients who were diagnosed early.
Important things to know about breast cancer
Undoubtedly, a crucial fact about breast cancer is that it is most effectively treated when detected early, underscoring the significance of early detection and regular screening. In the United States, approximately 1 in 8 women are affected by breast cancer, and while this statistic may vary across countries, the unfortunate reality is that breast cancer ranks as the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths among women worldwide, claiming a significant number of lives annually. Familiarizing oneself with these essential details and other pertinent information during breast cancer awareness month can potentially be life-saving.
Signs of breast cancer every woman (and man) should know
Having a clear understanding of what your normal breast tissue looks like is crucial in identifying any potential abnormalities. The most effective approach to detecting such abnormalities early is by conducting monthly self-exams. Additionally, regular monitoring of your health on an annual basis is the next best course of action
What to search for:
- Abnormalities such as lumps in the breast and the surrounding area, including the armpit.
- Any swelling of the breast, whether it affects the entire breast or specific areas.
- Skin changes like dimples or irritations in and around the breast.
- Persistent pain experienced within the breast.
- Any discharge from the nipple that is not breast milk.
- Changes in the shape or size of the breasts.
- Redness or discoloration of the nipple or the breast tissue surrounding it.
Ways to minimize your risks:
Understanding how to lower your risk of breast cancer is essential. Here are some key points:
- Engaging in physical activity at least three times per week can significantly decrease the likelihood of developing breast cancer.
- Limiting fat intake is beneficial in combating the disease as it inhibits the growth of tumors caused by excessive estrogen production.
- Minimizing alcohol consumption is an effective strategy for reducing risk. Beer, wine, and spirits elevate estrogen levels in the bloodstream, promoting tumor growth.
- This breast cancer awareness month, take the opportunity to prioritize self-care. Educate yourself about the signs of breast cancer and learn how you can minimize your risk, enabling you to lead a fulfilling and joyful life.
We also currently have many designs in response to breast cancer month, with pink ribbon designs and women’s themes.
See more designs at: https://cricency.com/?s=breast+cancer&post_type=product
Do you have any questions or comments? Leave me a comment below – I would LOVE to hear from you! I would appreciate your support on Instagram / Pinterest / Facebook as I am trying to grow my audience to keep producing great content!